The angel in our corner

When the words "We think we know what is going on with Charlotte. We believe she has Neuroblastoma" came out of the Duke doctor's mouth, I hit the floor. Many parents might have stood there dazed because they wouldn't know what neuroblastoma was. Most have never heard of it before. But I knew. I knew those words because one of my best friends from childhood had a son who had neuroblastoma. We went to middle school, high school, and roomed together in college. I watched her son battle this monster through their blog updates from the age of 5 until he was 11. He went through several remissions and relapses until 3 years ago today, his body had fought enough and he earned his wings. When I heard that our baby girl had neuroblastoma, the world stopped turning and everything became blurry in slow motion. How could this be? How could Charlotte have not only cancer, but the same stage 4 neuroblastoma that my good friend's son had battled so bravely years ago?

I cannot answer that question and never will be able to. But when I realized today was the anniversary of his passing, I wanted to honor him and his brave fight. See Trevor shattered the roof. He fought bravely and had strength beyond anything I had ever seen at the time. His body responded to treatment and then relapsed several times along his journey, but he smiled and cared for others along the way. Even starting his own charity, Trevor's Treasures, to bring joy to children also battling sickness in the hospital. He beat cancer 3 times but it kept coming back. Finally, his body had enough of all the harsh treatments and he earned his wings.

I feel Trevor sometimes. I wondered if some of the strength and peace we feel that helps us cope is not only God sent, but Trevor sent. I didn't really know him. I moved to NC and although his mom came to our wedding, we had really lost touch over the years. But I still believe that the fight Trevor gave, not only was inspiring, but was also pivotal in some of the advancements in neuroblastoma research. Trevor was involved in different clinical trials throughout his journey, and the treatment has come a long way because of angels like Trevor who have walked before us. Trevor's mom, my good friend, said to me once "Whatever happens, never lose hope. And don't think for one second that Charlotte's story will end like Trevor's." I believe her. We can win, but there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of this family and their brave boy. Trevor and Charlotte's tumor and cancer are not identical by any means and we do believe she has a real chance here...research and treatment have come a long way but it still has a very long way to go. I hope what Charlotte is going through can also provide information about this monster that is trying to steal her and other children away. Because one day, I will get to shake Trevor's hand and give him a big hug. But I plan to meet him way before our baby girl does. She's got a lot of fight left in her and a long journey ahead still. And we believe we have Trevor up there in her corner, cheering her on. Thanks buddy. Sending love and peace and happy memories to his family tonight. Please say a prayer for them and send a smile up to the stars for their brave boy.

Comments

  1. Thinking of Trevor and all the little ones and their families impacted by cancer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ROUND 2 under way

Reliving June 13

Getting some sleep and planning on a wagon ride!