When life gives you lemons...

I wanted to share this story from tonight where Charlotte taught me a lesson:

The day before she started Chemo, we made a good luck St.Pattys day craft with her hand print in the children's playroom here. To me, it became very sentimental and I have hung it up in any room we have been moved to. We were given a larger room tonight so we could put an air mattress on the floor instead of sleeping in the recliner (yippee!) but upon moving our things, I could not find that paper. It was no longer on the wall nor with any of our things. Frantically, and probably to the nurses insanely, I start looking through everything bc I cannot lose that piece of paper. It meant so much to me--it was a memory but also a symbol of something that I hoped to hold on to and show her when she beats this. But it is gone. I tried not to cry. Tears welled up and I held it together, but Charlotte who is ever so intune knew. As if it was the simplest solution in the world, at 10pm after we were moved into this new room and I was getting settled in, she says "paint. Paint mommy paint?" I laughed and said "tomorrow we can paint. It's late and time to sleep". But she persisted in a sleepy tone asking to "paint with mommy". I remembered a cart down the hall that I had passed earlier and it just so happened to have a box of finger paint just sitting on it. I slyly smiled to Charlotte and mission impossible style grabbed that paint and ducked back into our room. I found a piece of paper and at 10:20pm, Charlotte and I painted our hand prints again. She painted my hand and I made my mark next to hers. She hadn't wanted to so much as play or do a single thing in 3 days and somehow, when I needed it, she reached out to me and we sat together and painted. 

I will FOREVER remember that moment. That gift. And I share this with you because life gives us lemons sometimes. Life has given Charlotte a lemon that she doesn't deserve. But this girl will make lemonade and do her best to help us enjoy every single sip we get to take with her.

Comments

  1. That's an awesome story to be able to tell her in years to come when she is well and this is all just a bad dream!!! I'm so glad her energy level was up to do that with you!!..charlotte's current situation has been teaching me patience with my own babies and I will thank her one day when she's all better 😌😌😌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She is as amazing as her Mom......I'd say a higher power was at work here.....she knew what you needed and you just so happened to find finger paint at 10:30pm....that is a sign....love you both! Good things will soon happen...I just know it. ❤️💝

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story!!! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is certainly an inspiration to us all.....as are you. Good thoughts and vibes coming your way at all times. I pray for all of you every single day. We love you!!
    Jenn, Frank, and Sam Sulloway

    ReplyDelete
  5. She isn't just going to beat this. She's going to teach us all about how to fight and how to live in the process. We love you guys. We are praying for healing, strength and more lemonade every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gift! God bless you and Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just amazing how HE let's us know of HIS presence! What a treasured moment for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you all and love this story! We are thinking about you and praying for you everyday. Charlotte you are awesome and know just what mommy needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! You all are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An amazing story! Jennifer, your eloquence in writing during this unimaginable time is inspirational and hopefully somewhat therapeutic as well. You all are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reliving June 13

ROUND 2 under way

Getting some sleep and planning on a wagon ride!